Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Th king of court room drama...

To talk about court room and not talk about Perry Mason just cant happen. For me he is the king of court room dramas. I am a member at a library near my home. I had exhausted reading almost all the books in the library. Only few were left. I had no option but to read the few books that were remaining. I had not heard about Perry Mason books. There were some 12 to 15 of that. I took one and started to read. I was hooked. And how. I so liked it that each day I read one book and stopped only when the books were exhausted in the library. Thats a thing I am not likely to do again. When I did not find more books I was sad. But during that time I met with Anshuman Sir. When I went to his house for some work with my friends he called us to his study room to show something in the system. Why this elaborate unnecessary rambling. Well one half of the wall was covered with around 100 Perry Mason novels. I was thrilled. And later after I came to know him better, he told I can borrow the books and read. Well I guess he did not know that I would bother him till I finished reading all the books. I would borrow at a time 15 Perry Mason novels and afterwards return and take some more. Still few are left. Had it not been for my hyderabad stint I would have finished by now. Inspite of reading so many I am not bored. Because I liked the concept instantly and more so the characters of Perry Mason and Della Street. Especially Perry Mason. The character has such charm. The subtle undercurrents between Mason and Street just makes the readers to wish that something more is written about them. The plots are as varied as you want to be. And the cross examination at the end is edgy and superb. Wish there were more like that.The novels are small and affordable and quick read. Thoroughly masala entertainer. He is probably the most dashing lawyer character ever created and makes the profession looks cool. How the author Erle Stanley Gardner could write around 100 odd novels under Perry Mason is something that is commendable. Moreover they are old. Its not from our times. The surroundings and gadgets used to describe the plot are obsolete now. But still its gripping. Hats off to gardner. If you are going on a journey then Perry Mason is the perfect companion... P.S. There is perry mason movies also. But have not watched any of it.

1 comment: