Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Carol

My first Dickens novel if I dont count the children version of abridged Oliver Twist. And also read it on christmas eve. Apt timing I believe.I dont know why I never tried Charles Dickens. He is among the genre of writers like Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, etc whose writings I adore. When I was browsing through a book shop looking for some classics to read, I happened to come across Christmas Carol. It was small. Just a 100 pages classic. That itself was unique and also wanted to read a dickens novel for a long time but never did. So I grabbed the book and read it. The title and the introduction in the back gives away the story but classics are read not for their stories but for their characters and the way the story is told. Well I read it for that. It was nice. The way the ghosts makes Scrooge realise the christmas spirit is nice. I wonder if Uncle Scrooge the name of the character of Duck Tales is inspired by it. This book has made me to want to read more dickens. The character of Scrooge is so universal and relevant and relatable, its amazing how nicely it is captured in so short length. To build characters and make them akin to readers by building upon them in some length is the norm but to do it in such a manner is sheer genius. The english has to be read to believe it. Its charm is much better than the swear words riddled and shortfened english I hear today... Have to now decide which dickens novel I should read.....

No comments:

Post a Comment