Thursday, July 14, 2011

Potter Mania...

I am an unapologetic Harry Potter fan. I really am very grateful for my friend Meeta for hooking me into Harry and for letting me borrow the books. To think, if not for her, could not have read it at all. Unthinkable now. I have read the complete series many times and watched all movies over and over again like every other millions of die hard fans. What can one write about it? Nothing, as already so much is said and done about it and then again I can just go on and on... I read the book when I was in 11th. By then already 4 books were released. I read back to back and was frustrated that the next one was not there. In comparison, I can imagine the impatience of fans who had to wait from second book. This alone says a lot about the genius of J K Rowling. To sustain readers attention from first book to last book cutting across age groups and nationality in an era of tv and internet is stupendous. Sequels are very difficult. Stand alone novels are easy. Often the sequel would not be as good as first one. Like twilight. Or pople dont get intersted in such lengthy tales like Lord of the Rings though it is strictly not a series. But if you read Harry Potter it just sails smooth. I loved the way how every thing was connected and explained in the last book leaving no room for doubts. People often accuse J K Rowling for borrowing stuff from other novels. So what if she has been inspired. The books are a class apart. A tale of an underdog who helps good triumph over evil. Does not it sound like a cliched story? Harry Potter is that but also much much more. Its not the story but the way the story is told that is wonderful. I would rather prefer Harry than the likes of The white Tiger which won a Booker Prize wherein the guy kills and walks scot free justifying a murder. No sirjee. We like age old good over evil. And thanks to J K Rowling for making so many children read and may be believe that goodness and love prevails ultimately. To think that the last link of Potter Mania is coming to an end through the last movie is sad but we can always read the book or watch the movie whenever we want... I just want to pay my tribute by saying thank you to J k Rowling for giving us magical moments in our otherwise drab lives...

1 comment:

  1. i knw.. hw nice it was to read them.. after this post i probably hv to catch up with HP again.

    ReplyDelete